These instant pot steel cut oats will be a weekend game changer for us. In the winter especially we love to cook steel cut oats on the weekends. The warm, creamy goodness is so satisfying. However, we usually cook them on the stove or in an oat bake. Of course, this is before I had my Instant Pot (this is the newer version of the one we have –and love!!) and when I was flipping through the small book that came with it I saw the little recipe for 3 Minute Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats.
The time on the Instant Pot recipes is always a bit misleading since it does take extra time to get started and then to depressurize. However, I felt like these were still ready pretty quick since I didn’t have to stand by the stove and stir them for 10-20 minutes while they cooked.
By the way, if you aren’t familiar with steel cut oats or are confused about all the different types of oats out there be sure to check out my Complete Guide to Oats.
Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats: Apple Cranberry Style
Anyway, this morning I decided to try Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats. My recipe uses the same basic proportions as the Instant Pot cook book. I was completely out of non-dairy milk, but I did have some extra apple cider leftover from my Apple Cider Green Smoothie I made last week, so I used some of that. Then, I was going to play up on the apple-ness and chop up an apple to throw in as well when I realized I was also out of apples. (I really need to grocery shopping ?.) Instead, I threw in some dried cranberries. The combination turned out to be perfect!
You can top it with whatever yummy add ons you like: nuts, coconut flakes, more cranberries or other dried fruit, fresh fruit, greek yogurt. The possibilities are endless. But, this recipe was actually also delicious without any extra toppings!! Other than the apple cider, I did not add any sweetener into the recipe, so you can sweeten it to your tastes using honey or maple syrup if you like.
Apple Cranberry Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
- 1 cups Steel Cut Oats
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 cup Dried Cranberries
- Honey or Maple Syrup Sweeten to taste
- Nuts, Extra cranberries, fruit, coconut Optional - for topping
- Mix steel cut oats, water, apple cider, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and cranberries together in instant pot.
- Close the lid to the instant pot and set on manual for 3 minutes. Once it beeps that it has finished the 3 minute cook time, allow to depressurize naturally.
- The oats will look liquidy on the top. Just stir and dip into bowls. If you like them sweetened, mix in honey or maple syrup to taste. Top with fruit, nuts, coconut flakes, or any other toppings you love.
Helpful Posts: How to Meal Prep with the Instant Pot