Naan bread pizza is an easy but delicious way to make restaurant-worthy flatbread pizza for your whole family in 15 minutes.Jump to Recipe
Using Naan Bread for Pizza
I’ve always been a huge fan of “pizza bread” as I affectionally call it. Basically, I put my pizza toppings on my favorite sprouted bread and call it a day. However, my husband prefers his pizza to be a little fancier. Still, there are plenty of days I don’t want to take time to make a crust so I was pretty excited when my brother introduced me to naan pizza. Enter fancier way to make flatbread pizza.
So, what kind of naan bread should you buy? Basically, whatever you enjoy. You can buy the garlic or plain and it can be found anywhere OR you can even make your own. If you can find whole-grain naan bread or make your own whole-grain naan bread obviously that makes it more preferable nutritionally, but any naan or flatbread will do.
Where do you buy naan bread?
- Grocery Store: Most grocery stores like Kroger, Aldi, and Walmart carry a variety of naan bread. Stonefire brand which is widely available does have a whole wheat variety, but it can be tricky to find in some grocery stores.
- Homemade: If you want whole wheat and can’t find it at your local store, you can try making whole wheat naan bread at home.
- Online: I’ve not tried this yet, but you could try purchasing something like this whole-grain naan/tandoori flatbread online.
- Local Indian Restaurant – Do you ever order Indian food? You could always order extra to make pizza later (side note: it does freeze pretty well!)
What should you put on your pizza?
There are tons of great naan bread pizza recipes and ideas. Anything goes! Here are some favorite topping, sauce, and recipe combinations your family will love.
Naan Pizza Sauce Ideas
- Traditional Pizza Sauce
- Tzatziki sauce
- Garlic olive oil sauce – I typically blend garlic, olive oil, parmesan, and Italian seasoning
Naan Pizza Topping Ideas
- Cheese – Switch it up by using a variety of cheeses instead of just typical mozzarella. Try things like feta, ricotta, and goat cheese. Consider buying fresh mozzarella
- Spices – Oregano, basil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and red pepper.
- Any favorite veggies – Think the traditional pizza veggies: onions, spinach, sweet peppers, zucchini, artichoke. However, we’ve definitely mixed it up with less traditional veggies like broccoli and grated carrots before.
- Fruits – thin-sliced apples, pineapple, and tomato
- Pepperoni, Sausage, Ground Beef, Shredded or small slices of chicken, and pulled pork.
Best Naan Pizza Recipe Combinations
You can create so many of your own fun pizza combinations out of items listed above!
However, if you need some extra inspiration for your naan flatbread pizza, check out these delicious combinations.
- Margherita Pizza – Olive oil, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, tomatoes
- Taco Pizza – Pizza sauce, leftover taco meat, green onions, salsa, and mozzarella or cheddar cheese. Top with lettuce and sour cream after cooking.
- Cheeseburger – Refried beans, ground beef, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, mozzarella and cheddar
- Barbecue style – Barbecue, chicken or pork, and onions
- Hawaiian – Pizza sauce, pineapple, chicken or ham, and mozzarella.
- Gyro Pizza – Tzatziki sauce, tomatoes, cucumber, feta
- Pesto Swirl – Swirl pesto in pizza sauce and add your favorite toppings.
- Pizz’alad – Bake your pizza with olive oil, garlic, and cheese on top then add a salad on the crust for a pizz’alad style naan pizza.
How to Make Naan Pizza
Time needed: 15 minutes.
- Preheat Oven to 425°F.
- Spread olive oil on bread.
Using a pastry brush, spread olive oil on the underneath side and around the edges of the naan bread.
- (Optional) Bake naan bread for about 3-4 minutes before adding toppings.
Bake naan bread with no toppings directly in the oven for about 3-4 minutes. This step is not necessary but may give you a slightly crispier end result.
- Add sauce and toppings!
This is the fun part. Place naan bread on a baking sheet and spread pizza sauce, cheese, and other toppings on top. If you have kids, let them top their own pizza.
- Bake in the oven until cheese melts or is slightly brown.
If you prebaked naan bread in step 3: Bake in the oven for an additional 4-5 minutes or until the cheese melts and crust is lightly browned.
If you did not prebake your naan bread: Bake approximately 8 minutes or until the cheese melts and crust is lightly brown.
- Let your naan pizza cool. Serve it and enjoy!
Done at last! Cut each pizza with a pizza cutter if you like and enjoy alongside a side salad or roasted veggies.
Involving Your Kids
Individual pizza works great for kids since they feel invested in the pizza and generally are more adventurous in what they would put on their pizza if doing it themselves. (Case in point, tonight my son put broccoli, carrots, and ground beef on his pizza.) Choose a couple of sauces and several toppings to have available and let your family make their own so everyone gets to choose what they have!
How to Serve Naan Pizza
Naan bread pizza makes a great simple dinner served alongside some extra veggies such as a salad, raw veggies, or even roasted veggies. Of course, if you’re really feeling the salad vibes you could try topping your pizza with salad and turn your naan pizza into a pizz’alad.
Easy Naan Pizza Recipe
- 4 individual Naan Bread
- 2/3 cup Pizza sauce
- 6 oz Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Additional Toppings See notes
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Using a pastry brush, spread olive oil on the underneath side of the naan bread.
- Optional: Bake naan bread with no toppings directly in the oven for about 3-4 minutes. This step is not necessary but may give you a slightly crispier end result.
- Place naan bread on a baking sheet and spread pizza sauce, cheese, and any additional toppings.
- If you prebaked naan bread in step 3: Bake in oven for an additional 4-5 minutes or until the cheese melts and crust is lightly browned.If you did not prebake your naan bread: Bake approximately 8 minutes or until the cheese melts and crust is lightly brown.
- Cut each pizza with a pizza cutter and enjoy alongside a side salad or roasted veggies.
Protein: 22 grams
Carbohydrates: 55 grams