Healthy black bean avocado brownies are perfect for the whole family including kids! These whole-food-based brownies are full of healthy fats and fiber. Plus, these no sugar flourless brownies are even gluten-free and oil-free.
Health Benefits of Black Bean Brownies
Black bean avocado brownies offer more nutritional benefits and nutrients than your traditional brownie. In addition, these brownies are made without refined sugar. While maple syrup is arguably still sugar, it is less refined and is used in a controlled, smaller amount in these delicious brownies.
Ingredients in Black Bean Avocado Brownies
- Black beans – The main ingredient in these flourless brownies are full of fiber, protein, potassium, and folate.
- Avocado – Avocado is rich in healthy fats, potassium, and magnesium. In these avocado brownies, avocado replaces oil used in traditional brown recipes making them oil-free and more whole food-based.
- Eggs – I have not yet tried replacing the 2 eggs in this recipe with flax or chia eggs, but I’d like to at some point. Since my family does well with eggs, I appreciate the protein from the eggs to help balance out the sugar (from maple syrup.)
- Vanilla – I find when baking with beans vanilla can help neutralize the flavor
- Chocolate Chips
- Baking Powder
- Coconut oil – to grease pan
How to Make Oil Free Black Bean Brownies
Using an avocado to substitute oil is a great way to make oil free black bean brownies. In general, these brownies couldn’t be easier to make!
Start by simply mixing all ingredients together in a food processor or a high-speed blender. Having a good food processor (this kitchen aid food processor is the one I have) to mix and help ensure the beans are blended into the brownies will help ensure a quality product. After blending, stir in half chocolate chips.
Spread the avocado black bean brownie batter into a greased 9 x 9 pan (I use coconut oil) and add remaining chocolate chips on top. Bake at 350°F for approximately 30 minutes or longer until a toothpick comes out clean.
Tips for making Avocado Brownies with black beans
- Buy unseasoned beans and rinse well. – If using canned beans ensure that they are unseasoned and rinse them well before using them in the black bean brownie recipe.
- Use ripe avocado. – Ensure your avocado is ripe and easy to mash.
- For more cake-like brownies use an additional egg for a total of 3 eggs.
- For best storage – keeps these brownies in the fridge or freezer.
Frequently Asked Questions : Avocado Brownies
Black bean brownies offer many health benefits that traditional brownies do not including extra fiber, nutrients, and as in this avocado black bean recipe more healthy fats.
You really can’t taste the avocado though it does give the brownies a creamy texture.
These avocado black bean brownies have 218 calories per brownie, 7 g protein, 7 g fat, and 33 g carbohydrates.
More Healthy No Sugar and Flourless Dessert Recipes
Black Bean Avocado Brownies
These black bean avocado brownies are delicious and healthy! Full of healthy fats and fiber, these gluten and oil free brownies are a recipe your whole family will enjoy.
- 1 can Black Beans 15 oz can, drained and rinsed
- 1 small Avocado or half a large
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/3 cup Chocolate Chips
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Peel and mash 1 small avocado or half of a large avocado.
Mix all ingredients (except chocolate chips) together in a food processor or high power blender. Fold in half of chocolate chips.
Grease 9×9 pan with coconut oil and pour batter into greased pan. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top of batter.
Bake for 30 minutes or longer until a toothpick comes out clean.
Avocado Black Bean Nutrition Facts: