This incredibly easy and healthy banana swirl recipe comes from none other than Daniel Tiger himself. My two year old loves Daniel Tiger and as far as kid’s TV shows go, I’m a fan. In fact, 6 months ago when Baby Girl joined our family I’m convinced that my son welcomed her wholeheartedly, at least in part, thanks to Daniel Tiger. I also like how Daniel is often involved in the kitchen, trying new food, or even trying tomatoes from the garden.
Daniel Tiger Makes Banana Swirl
When my son made the initial request to try Banana Swirl from Daniel Tiger, he was telling me we just blend frozen bananas. I rewatched the clip (you can find it from Episode 116 here) to figure out exactly how to make banana swirl and realized it really is that easy.
Banana swirl is a frozen treat – kind of like ice cream, but with just one ingredient…BANANAS! Actually, in the non-toddler world, I’m pretty sure they call it “banana nice cream” but honestly with trying to assign moral value to foods (“nice”) I have to say I prefer Daniel’s name better.
Making Banana Swirl Ice Cream – Tips
Obviously, you can add other ingredients like different fruits, peanut butter, or even chocolate if you want. However, my toddler adored it with just bananas and I have to say the texture is surprisingly creamy. Here are a few tips to make your banana swirl ice cream recipe come out perfect and to make it more fun:
36 EASY Toddler Snack Ideas
Sign up fo my newsletter and grab my FREE TODDLER SNACK CHEATSHEET so that you don't have to worry about what snacks to feed your kids ever again.
- Involve your kids just like Mom Tiger involved Daniel. It’s easy and most toddlers love hitting “go” on the blender or food processor.
- I recommend using a food processor. Although Mom Tiger uses her blender, it worked better in my food processor. I have a Vitamix and would have to add at least a little liquid if I wanted to process frozen bananas.
- Use ripe bananas. Underripe bananas don’t work very well in this recipe. Bananas get sweeter with time. They don’t have to be browned and overripe (although they can be!) but make sure they aren’t green either.
- Slice your bananas before freezing to help them process easier.
- Thaw your bananas for approximately 30-45 minutes before processing/blending.
- If your final product is too thin after blending, you can freeze it in the freezer for an additional 30 minutes.
Make Banana Swirl With Us
Join me and my son as we make delicious BANANA SWIRL in our kitchen…
Optional Banana Swirl Mix Ins & Toppings
- Nut Butter – Peanut butter, Almond Butter (or Chocolate Hazelnut & Almond Butter anyone?)
- Cocoa Powder
- Other Fruits
- Hemp Protein
- Chia Seeds
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- Mini Dark Chocolate Chips
- Berries or Chopped Fruit
- Crushed Nuts
Other Recipes & Articles On Feeding Toddlers
- Food Processor
- 2 Bananas Ripened
- Slice bananas into slices (approx 1 inch thick.)
- Freeze in a freezable container or ziplock bag until frozen solid or almost solid.
- If your bananas are frozen solid, let them sit at room temperature approx 30-45 minutes before processing.
- Processes bananas (and any additional mix ins you choose) in a food processor until smooth and creamy. (If you do not have a food processor and choose to use a high speed blender you may need to add a small amount of milk.)
- You can enjoy your banana swirl after processing or pop in the freezer for 30 minutes if it's too runny. Add any optional toppings and enjoy!