Let’s talk about National Taco Day. Because it happens to be today and also because these Sweet Potato Tacos are worth celebrating.
Vegetarian meals aren’t always a hit at my house. But these Sweet Potato Tacos are a different story. How can anyone turn down the delicious sweetness of a sweet potato mixed with lime, black beans, and feta? Oh, and did I mention it’s topped with a creamy avocado yogurt sauce? Actually, this is one of those cases where the sauce MAKES the meal. Feta, black beans, lime, and sweet potatoes are good….but then you add avocado yogurt sauce and it becomes not just taco Tuesday worthy, but a capable contender on National Taco Day.
All About Sweet Potato Tacos
I think I’ve mentioned a time or two that years ago I didn’t think I liked sweet potatoes. It turned out that I just didn’t like how I was eating sweet potatoes. My turnaround point was when I was in high school and my mom made sweet potato stew where the potatoes were served alongside other hearty vegetables and curry powder instead of being made sweeter with brown sugar or candied up with marshmallows. Then, I found that I loved roasted sweet potatoes (like my roasted sweet potato rounds.)
We love to mix beans into all kinds of meals…meatless or not. They are a great budget friendly source of protein that can make meat go further and add bulk and protein to a meatless meal. We have been doing baby led weaning with my son since he was 6 months old, and it turns out beans are one of his favorite foods (maybe because we have them so often?!)
These lime sweet potato tacos are sure to be a hit with your whole family! Top them with extra avocado and show them just how delicious and filling a vegetarian meal can be! Enjoy!
Now, enjoy Lime Sweet Potato Tacos!
Sweet Potato Tacos
- 1 Sweet Potato diced into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Sweet Onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 limes
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 cup Feta Cheese crumbles
- 2 Avocados 1 avocado is for topping
- 3 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- 12 Small White Corn Tortilla
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat diced sweet potato in 1 Tbsp olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper to taste. Roast sweet potato chunks for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook approximately 5 minutes or until soft.
- Mix in black beans, cumin, chili powder, and the juice of 1 lime. Heat through until warm. Stir in feta crumbles and remove from heat.
- For the avocado yogurt sauce: Mash 1 avocado, the juice of 1/2 lime, greek yogurt, salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer sweet potato mixture on tacos, top with avocado chunks and avocado yogurt sauce. Enjoy!!